Servings: 24 cookies serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 28 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
Molasses and chia do wonders for the texture of these fudgy gluten-free chocolate chia cookies.
If you enjoy gluten-free baking then consider molasses your friend. It has a way of improving the texture of GF baked goods and adds moisture that is always welcome. In this recipe the chia plays a similar role. Together they help to keep these cookies fudgy.
This recipe is not unlike our recipe for Fudgy Flax Cookies, in flavour and texture. You might appreciate that Gluten-Free Chocolate Chia Cookies are lower in sugar than the flax cookies.
I usually have chia in the cupboard but don’t often bake with it. It’s great to be able to tuck it into a cookie recipe. (Have your tried our low-fat Chia Bran Muffins?)
IN this recipe I used Robin Hood gluten-free flour blend, an all-purpose GF flour that includes xanthan gum so you don’t have to add it yourself.Print
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chia Cookies
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Total Time: 27
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds mixed with 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 3 tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy molasses
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the chia seeds with the hot water. Reserve.
- Cream the butter and sugar. Add the molasses and beat until well combined. Beat in the egg then vanilla and cooled chia mixture.
- In another bowl whisk the flour, cornstarch, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients in to the wet, then stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonful (or a medium cookie scoop) onto prepared sheet.
- Bake 12 minutes.
- Cool on a rack.
Subscribe to our recipe updates…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’ll send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more.Sign up for our Newsletter