Servings: 12 serving(s)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hours 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hours
Chocolate gingerbread bundt cake is a beautifully spiced Holiday cake meant for sharing.
If you’re in need of a dessert idea for a Holiday gathering chocolate gingerbread bundt cake is your answer. Beautifully spiced and with a firm crumb it’s the kind of cake that is easy to slice and travels well. Even better, it doesn’t need frosting. Just a sprinkling of icing sugar will dress it up enough and a generous drizzle of molasses toffee sauce will make it extra special.
I brought this chocolate gingerbread bundt cake to a gathering with friends over the weekend. We hadn’t shared a meal with them in years and this felt like the perfect cake to celebrate reconnecting with old friends. (One day soon I’ll share the recipe for soy-glazed salmon that they served as the main dish.)
If you didn’t already know, chocolate, spice and molasses are a lovely combination. This isn’t a chocolate cake, per se, but you can catch a hint of chocolate flavour in each bite.
The full tablespoon of ginger in this recipe is no typo and even with all of the spice this cake has a mild flavour.
I love to hear from readers:
“Happy New Year, Bridget ~ I am new to your website …. but I have to tell you I’m a fan! Over the holidays I made your Chocolate Gingerbread Bundt Cake with Toffee Sauce and it was fantastic. A truly delicious dessert served to close family …. everyone loved it! We had just finished a big day of snowshoeing in the rocky mountains of Alberta. We cooked a beautiful Prime Rib, sipped some nice wine and then we had dessert! Everyone was blown away. It was so comforting to share this dessert with my family ….Thank you ~ I’ll be looking for more inspiration from your site in the future. All the best! Renée C”
This recipe is from a Sobeys recipe magazine (link at bottom of post).
Chocolate Gingerbread Bundt Cake Recipe
- 3 cups flour, spooned in
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 2/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 or 10-in. bundt or tube pan and dust with flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves.
- In another bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in molasses and vanilla.
- Add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture in three additions, alternating with the sour cream (beginning and ending with the dry mixture).
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake 50 minutes to an hour, until a tester comes out clean when inserted into centre of cake and when the cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool cake in pan for 10-20 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack. When ready to serve, sprinkle over icing sugar.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.
Find this recipe and more: