Sweet Cornmeal Biscuits
Sweet cornmeal biscuits are perfect for summer. Enjoy them with your barbecue, or turn them into strawberry shortcake. Even better, serve them warm drizzled with molasses for the easiest dessert ever.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal (fine or medium)
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- Juice of half a lemon (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 2 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1/3 cup milk
- Additional milk for brushing on top (optional)
- sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter, using a pastry blender or two knives.
- In a small bowl lightly beat the eggs then stir in the lemon juice, molasses and 1/3 cup milk.
- Make a well in the centre of your dry ingredients and pour in the liquid mixture.
- Mix gently with a fork until flour is mostly incorporated.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently gather and knead to incorporate the remaining flour.
- Gently pat into a rectangle and fold into thirds, like a business letter.
- Gently pat or roll into a rectangle again and fold into thirds once more.
- Do this once more then gently roll into a rectangle about 3/4″ thick.
- Cut into rounds (without twisting) and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Remove biscuits from fridge, lightly brush the tops with a little milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
This recipe makes 12 biscuits when cut with a 2 1/2″ round cutter.
Biscuits are always best eaten fresh out of the oven.