Servings: 36 serving(s)
Prep time: 90 minutes
Total time: 126 minutes
Cooking time: 36 minutes
Next to the homemade Valentines that my kids draw for me, I think that edible homemade Valentines are the best. Made from little cookies or cakes, these special treats are charming and sweet.
My kids, on the other hand, are so accustomed to homemade treats that heart-shaped cookies on Valentine’s Day are about as exciting as soda crackers. It’s the bought stuff they consider special. That’s why I tucked Caramilk bars under their pillows this morning.
Classic gingersnaps are one of my favourite cookies and simple or not I consider them special. Cut into fun shapes they’re a delight to nibble. This recipe has a good amount of spice and the cookies bake up crispy. They can be dressed up with frosting or served just as they are. They’re the perfect cookie for dunking.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Spicy gingersnaps for your Valentine Recipe
- 2 ½ – 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- ½ cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 Tbs. ground ginger
- ½ Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- Sift 2 1/2 cups of the flour, baking soda, and baking powder into a bowl.
- Beat butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Mix in spices, salt and pepper, then egg, vanilla and molasses.
- Add flour mixture, and mix until combined.
- Slowly add remaining ½ cup of flour until dough starts to feel stiff (you may have up to ¼ cup leftover).
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with parchment.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out cookies in desired shapes and transfer to baking sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes (you want them to be crisp but not dark)
- Transfer cookies to wire racks, and let cool completely.
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. The sign-up form is on the top right hand side of this page. We’d love to send you our monthly email too. Our Making Life Delicious newsletter includes cooking tips, menu ideas and featured recipes. Here’s the link to our monthly email sign-up form.
Here’s to eating well, everyday,