Do you ever have trouble getting out of bed in the morning?
But not becasuse I’m still sleepy, it’s because I hate to leave the warmth and coziness behind.
The dog needs walking in the morning though, so getting out of bed means going directly to the back door, getting my coat, hat and boots on, and heading out into the cold.
All before I have had my coffee.
(I used to bring my coffee on our early walk. It made it feel less chilly outside. But there are challenges to holding a leash and carrying a coffee and a poop bag all at once.)
Now to take the chill off I put the porridge on to cook right off the bat, because there is nothing more warming in the morning than a bowl of oatmeal. It’s filling and substantial.
It’s the morning’s version of a hearty stew.
What’s your favourite warming breakfast?
Warming porridge with cinnamon and molasses
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 3 cups water or milk
- Combine oats and water in a saucepan with a lid.
- Bring to a gentle boil, cover and simmmer until thick (about 10-15 minutes)
- Pour over a bit of milk, a drizzle of molasses and a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Walnuts make a tasty, healthy addition too.