Servings: 2 serving(s)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Grilled peanut butter and molasses sandwich: a grilled-to-perfection take on the old-time PB & M combo. Crispy and golden on the outside and melty in the middle, this humble sandwich is positively decadent.
You don’t have to search very far to find lovers of the peanut butter and molasses combo. It’s an old fashioned classic (in Atlantic Canada anyway) and a comfort food that so many of us grew up with.
Years ago I saw a feature on favourite foods of famous people and it featured a grilled peanut butter and banana sandwich loved by Elvis. It got me thinking outside of the grilled cheese box.
I like my grilled peanut butter and molasses sandwich made with oatmeal brown bread but they are equally good with a hearty multigrain bread. If white bread is your thing, that’s delicious too.
To flatten or not to flatten?
I like to leave my sandwiches alone when they’re grilling but I know many people who can’t resist flattening their sandwiches with a spatula as they cook. To each his own.
Tip: If your butter isn’t soft enough to spread on the bread slices you can melt it in the pan and place the assembled sandwich directly on top. Melt more butter when you flip the sandwich so both sides get crispy.
Grilled Peanut Butter and Molasses Sandwich Recipe
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices of sandwich bread
- 2-4 Tbsp. butter, softened
- softened butter for spreading
- 3-4 Tbsp. peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- Warm a frying pan over medium heat
- Spread peanut butter on two of the slices of bread and drizzle over the molasses. Spread to coat.
- Place remaining slices of bread on top of each slathered slice.
- Butter the outside of each sandwich (four sides in total) and place in the warmed pan.
- Grill until golden and then flip.
- Grill side two until golden.
- Eat while still warm.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.