Servings: 3 dozen serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
A homemade cookie mix makes a delicious gift.
I love giving delicious gifts. And I like practical gifts too, the sort of thing that’s not going to get tucked in a closet and forgotten about. That’s where homemade edible gifts come in handy. With all of the bustling of the holidays and friends popping over, it’s great to have a sweet treat that’s easy to pull together in a snap.
I’ll fess up — I don’t have great stamina for shopping so it’s easy for me to fall back on homemade gifts. I’d much rather spend the day in the kitchen than the mall, especially when I have cookies like these in the oven. Scented with holiday spices and oprange zest, your house will smell festive and delicious when these orange spice molasses cookies are baking.
If you’re giving a jar of these cookies as a gift, don’t forget to include the full recipe with the instructions.
Orange Spice Molasses Cookies in a jar
These cookies would be especially good on a snowy afternoon alongside a cup of hot chocolate, or may be a cup of chai tea. Recipe adapted (ever so slightly) from www.best-cookie-jar-recipes.com
Ingredients for Jar:
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Grated zest of one orange (about 1 Tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
Instructions for Jar:
- Place brown sugar in 1-quart jar and pack down firmly and evenly.
- In medium bowl, combine flour with baking soda, orange peel, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and allspice.
- Stir well to mix.
- Spoon flour mixture over brown sugar, pressing down with each addition.
- Place cranberries over flour mixture and press down to fit all in jar.
- Place lid on jar to close.
Ingredients for baking:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Sugar for rolling (optional)*
Instructions for Baking:
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Empty contents of jar into large mixing bowl.
- Add egg, butter, molasses and vanilla.
- Beat on low speed or by hand until dough is thoroughly blended.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Or form into balls and roll in sugar if you prefer more of a crackle top cookie.*
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until set.
Makes about 3 dozen.
Looking for more homemade gift ideas? Try these recipes:
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.