Servings: 36 cookies serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
“Cookie” is not a bad word
A school in my area has a cookie ban in place. I get the motivation behind the ban. Teaching kids and parents about healthy eating is important stuff. But what goes in the cookies (and muffins) is what’s important. And as my mom says: “Everything in moderation.”
I won’t pretend that cookies are healthy, but you can fill them with lots of healthy stuff. Case in point – these yummy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are full of:
- old fashioned rolled oats
- 100% whole grain flour
- wheat germ
- unsweetened coconut
All healthy ingredients.
Molasses is wholesome and extra dark chocolate has its benefits too. So enjoy your homemade cookies and happily avoid the hydrogenated world.
This is one of those recipes that my mom tore out of a magazine years ago, contributed by a reader which means that it’s a great recipe. (Because nobody shares a ho-hum cookie recipe.)
I consider this a summer cookie recipe because it’s light and almost lacy. It’s a bit chewy too, so you could use it if you’re inclined to make ice cream sandwiches.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup wheat germ (or ground flax)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chocolate chips (can use white chocolate)
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- PRe-heat oven to 375 F.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add the vanilla and the eggs and beat until fluffy.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonful onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake about 10 minutes (watch closely).
Subscribe to our recipe updates…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’ll send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more.Sign up for our Newsletter