Servings: 24 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
The mom-child cookie compromise
If there was a list of all-time family-friendly cookies this recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies would be on it. A classic from the Fanny Farmer cookbook this recipe has more than stood the test of time.
(Originally published in 1896 as The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book by Fannie Merritt Farmer, it became the cookbook that taught generations of Americans how to cook.)
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are kid-friendly and mom-friendly.
Any cookie with chocolate chips is a hit in my house, but as a mom, I feel the need to stuff a little nourishment into my kids’ snack too. That’s where the rolled oats, flax and nuts or seeds come in.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with a healthy twist are a good cookie compromise.
There’s nothing like an old fashioned oatmeal cookie to make you feel satisfied. They’re filling in a way that other cookies aren’t and leave you feeling like you’ve had a bit of a healthy treat.
- To add fibre and flavour use stone ground whole white flour for these cookies, or substitute whole wheat flour for ¾ cup of the white flour.
- You can reduce the sugar to 2/3 of a cup.
Cape Cod Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup raisins or chocolate chips (or half and half)
- ½ cup walnuts
- Can substitute sunflower or pumpkin seeds for the walnuts to make them school friendly
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- In a medium bowl combine flour, flax baking soda, cinnamon and salt
- In a large bowl whisk the egg with the sugar then add the melted butter. Whisk in the molasses and milk.
- Stir in the flour mixture then the rolled oats, chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Mix until well combined and drop by heaping teaspoonful on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until set.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email..