Molasses Roasted Onions: A Versatile Meal Topper
The rich, savoury flavour of molasses roasted onions complements any meal – meat or vegetable.
This humble vegetable can elevate any meal – meat or vegetable.
Caramelized onions are the easiest way to elevate just about any meal. When cooked for a long time, molasses roasted onions develop a rich, savoury sweetness that complements meats, cheeses, roasted vegetables and anything spicy. The recipe calls for a little balsamic vinegar (or cider vinegar) which balances the sweet and gives the flavour a bright edge.
Burger topper combos:
- Extra sharp cheddar, grainy mustard & molasses roasted onions
- Goat cheese, prepared pesto & molasses roasted onions
- Blue cheese & molasses roasted onions
What burger topper combo do you suggest?
Tip: Make these a few days ahead and reheat them on the grill.Print
Molasses Roasted Onions Recipe
- 2 large onions peeled and sliced thickly
- 3–4 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- Pinch of salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar or cider vinegar
- One sprig of fresh thyme (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Make a packet with tin foil and pour the ingredients in the foil. Wrap well and then wrap again in foil so you have a double layer.
- Bake in the oven at 350 F or on the BBQ over medium, for about 40 minutes.
- These onions store well. Make them ahead of time and store them in the fridge for up to a week.
Keywords: roasted onions