Servings: 6-8 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Take your burgers from average to awesome on Father’s Day.
Caramelized onions are the easiest way to elevate just about any meal. When cooked for a long time, molasses roasted onions develop a rich, savoury sweetness that complements meats, cheeses and anything spicy. The recipe calls for a little balsamic vinegar (or cider vinegar) which balances the sweet and gives the flavour a bright edge.
Try these molasses roasted onions as a topper on beef, chicken or even salmon burgers. Leftovers can go on pizza.
Burger topper combos:
- Extra sharp cheddar, grainy mustard & molasses roasted onions
- Goat cheese, prepared pesto & molasses roasted onions
- Blue cheese & molasses roasted onions
What burger topper combo do you suggest?
Tip: Make these a few days ahead and reheat them on the grill.
Molasses Roasted Onions Recipe
- 2 large onions peeled and sliced thickly
- 3-4 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- Pinch of salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar or cider vinegar
- One sprig of fresh thyme (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Make a packet with tin foil and pour the ingredients in the foil. Wrap well and then wrap again in foil so you have a double layer.
- Bake in the oven at 350 F or on the BBQ over medium, for about 40 minutes.
- These onions store well. Make them ahead of time and store in the fridge for up to a week.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.