Molasses Roasted Onions: A Versatile Meal Topper
The rich, savoury flavour of molasses roasted onions complements any meal – meat or vegetable.
This humble vegetable can elevate any meal – meat or vegetable.
Caramelized onions are the easiest way to elevate just about any meal. When cooked for a long time, molasses roasted onions develop a rich, savoury sweetness that complements meats, cheeses, roasted vegetables and anything spicy. The recipe calls for a little balsamic vinegar (or cider vinegar) which balances the sweet and gives the flavour a bright edge.
Try these molasses roasted onions as a burger topper, serve them with roasted squash or sweet potatoes. Leftovers can go on pizza.
Burger topper combos:
- Extra sharp cheddar, grainy mustard & molasses roasted onions
- Goat cheese, prepared pesto & molasses roasted onions
- Blue cheese & molasses roasted onions
What burger topper combo do you suggest?
Tip: Make these a few days ahead and reheat them on the grill.Print
Molasses Roasted Onions Recipe
- 2 large onions peeled and sliced thickly
- 3–4 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- Pinch of salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar or cider vinegar
- One sprig of fresh thyme (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Make a packet with tin foil and pour the ingredients in the foil. Wrap well and then wrap again in foil so you have a double layer.
- Bake in the oven at 350 F or on the BBQ over medium, for about 40 minutes.
- These onions store well. Make them ahead of time and store them in the fridge for up to a week.
Keywords: roasted onions
Where are the recipes you can used with cooking molasses… I only read fancy molasses to used every where… ??
Hi Gilles, This website is devoted to fancy molasses recipes because that is our molasses product that is available in most grocery stores across Canada. If you enjoy the flavour of cooking molasses then any recipe on this website would be suitable to make with cooking molasses. As a general recommendation, if I’m baking with cooking molasses I choose recipes that call for no more than 1/4 cup of molasses.