There is no cookie I love better than oatmeal chocolate chip. They’re a little bit chewy, a little bit hearty and substantial. (I like to eat cookies in pairs but I’ll admit that when it comes to oatmeal chocolate chip, I’m usually satisfied after just one.
Imagine my delight when I came across this recipe for oatmeal molasses chocolate chip cookies. Molasses and chocolate is one of the most beautiful pairings in the world. Add a few dried cranberries and you have a lunchbox cookie with delicious substance. Use old-fashioned rolled oats for the greatest texture.
Molasses oatmeal cookies
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- ½ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 ¾ cups flour (can use ¾ cup whole wheat)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup dried cranberries or chocolate chips (or a combination of the two)
- In a large bowl, cream butter and add sugar gradually.
- Blend in the eggs and molasses.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt & nutmeg.
- Stir in rolled oats.
- Combine dry ingredients with the creamed mixture.
- Mix in cranberries and/or chocolate chips.
- Drop by teaspoonful on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 F for about 10 minutes.