Servings: 8-10 serving(s)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Sometimes all it takes to be Super Mom is some chocolate and marshmallows.
Perfectly delicious Molasses Oat Blondies make a yummy base for oven-baked s’mores and they’re so simple — just plop a little chocolate and some marshmallows on top at the end of baking and put them back in the oven. Then cut into marshmallow-sized pieces for a messy but appealing treat.
The s’mores version of these blondies was like catnip for my kids. More often than not they take homemade baked goods for granted but this recipe stood out. They lined up for their molasses oat s’mores.
These squares are surprisingly rich on their own but have a wholesome sort of taste thanks to the rolled oats. Feel free to use some wholegrain flour in the mix (whole wheat or spelt) to add more fibre, flavour and nutrition. And the 2 tablespoons of vanilla in the recipe is not a typo. The vanilla gives them somewhat of a grown up flavour but can be scaled back to one tablespoon if you think it will be too overwhelming for you.
Like all good brownies (and blondies), these are a little chewy and are great with anything on top. If s’mores aren’t your thing cut them into larger pieces and serve with a scoop of ice cream.
Molasses Oat Blondies for Oven-baked S’Mores Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup rolled oats, pulsed in the blender for a couple of seconds
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 7 Tbsp. cold butter
- 1/3 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 5 Tbsp. milk
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla
- Butter a 9”x9” baking pan or line it with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- In a large bowl combine the flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Cut in the cold butter until only pea-size or smaller pieces remain.
- In a small bowl whisk the molasses, milk and vanilla.
- Add wet to dry and stir until well combined.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, spread evenly and bake for 25-30 minutes.
To make the S’Mores version:
Once they’re cooked, top with ½ cup chocolate chips and 10 marshmallows that have been cut in half. Place back in a 350 F oven for 5-10 minutes, until the marshmallows are golden on top.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email..