Servings: 24 serving(s)
Prep time: 25 minutes
Total time: 75 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Granola was a big recess treat when I was little. It wasn’t that easy to eat out of a little bag but it was tasty and filling. This was in the mid 1970s when granola wasn’t mainstream and granola bars had yet to be invented.
I can’t recall what mom put in her granola, aside from rolled oats, but I do remember it was very sweet and buttery.
My family’s first granola recipe came from a neighbour who got it from a friend in California.
That original recipe is long gone but this cookie recipe, given to me by a co-worker a decade ago, reminds me of it. They’re sweet and buttery and loaded with all sorts of good things.
School-friendly option: Replace the nuts with additional sunflower and pumpkin seeds and additional dried fruit.
Hearty Granola Cookie Recipe
Makes 24 cookies
- ½ cup butter or coconut oil
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup hot water
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats (GF if necessary)
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries, raisins or currant
- ½ cup toasted wheat germ (or ground flax for the GF version))
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup chopped cashews or hazelnuts
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl mix the oats with the nuts, seeds and coconut.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the brown sugar, molasses, honey, hot water, vanilla and salt.
- Stir until the mixture is smooth and the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and pour half over the dry mixture. Stir well then add remaining sugar mixture.
- Mix until fully combined. Cool a bit before stirring in chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough by tablespoonful and form into 3” cookies that are about half an inch thick. (Wet your fingers with cold water to keep the mixture from sticking to your hands as you form the cookies.)
- If you let the batter cool for a bit it will be a little stiffer and easier to shape. Make sure you smooth the sides.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool completely before moving them – they need to set.
Hearty Granola Cookies Nutritional info: Per cookie.
- Calories: 284
- Fat: 15.7 g
- Cholesterol: 10.9 mg
- Sodium: 61.3 mg
- Carbs: 32.5 g
- Sugar: 16.4 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
- Fibre 4.2 g
- Potassium 278 mg
Want to make them traditional granola bar style?
At step 2 throw all of the dry ingredients into the food processor and blend until everything is uniform. Scrape into a mixing bowl, add sugar/butter mixture and combine well. Stir in chocolate chips and press into a parchment-lined 9″x13″ metal pan. (Press as firmly as possible.) Bake at 350 F for about 35 min or until they’re golden around the edges. Cool completely before cutting.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email.