Servings: many serving(s)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Why buy what you can so easily make at home?
Some of the easiest things to make at home are those that we often buy. Take granola, for example. It’s really just a matter of tossing things together and then throwing them in a slow oven for three-quarters of an hour, stirring from time to time.
Make it once and you’ll never buy granola again. And then you’ll start making up your own recipe, substituting different nuts and seeds. You might even throw in some Smarties or chocolate chips at the end and call it trail mix so your kids will eat it.
Healthy Applesauce Granola Recipe
- 4 cups old-fashioned (large flake) rolled oats
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup unsweetened flaked coconut (or shredded)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- ½ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 3 Tbsp. olive, canola or grape seed oil
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 300 F and line a large sided cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl stir together the oats, sunflower seeds, coconut, pumpkin seeds, salt & cinnamon. (The dried cranberries are added after the granola has cooked.)
- In a medium bowl whisk the applesauce with the molasses and oil.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry, making sure to coat the rolled oats well.
- Spread evenly in prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. If it still needs to dry out a bit leave it in the oven, turn the oven off and check it after five minutes, then 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, stir in the dried cranberries. Cool completely before packing it in a container.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email.