Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hours 5 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Glossy pecan toffee bars… buttery toffee thick with pecans layered on a barely-sweet shortbread base. They’re gorgeous but not over the top. They’re festive and beyond delicious.
All that to say: glossy pecan toffee bars suit the fun and festivities of the Holiday season in both looks and taste.
I can’t believe that I was going to drizzle these bars with melted white chocolate. I would have, but the white chocolate seized in the pan when I was melting it, so was eaten by my kids instead.
The toffee-coated pecans are so glossy and pretty on their own who would want to cover them?
They are rich and sweet — one iota more of anything might make you forget about the pecans and toffee, and that would be a shame.
This recipe is adapted from Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa. She dips each square in dark chocolate and if your body can tolerate that extra layer of sweet, then go for it.
Glossy Pecan Toffee Bars Recipe
- 1 cup + 4 Tbs. butter, softened
- 6 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup butter, cut into chunks
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 lb. pecan halves
To make the crust:
- Beat together the butter and sugar. Mix in the egg and vanilla.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, ginger and salt and stir into the creamed mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Press into a 9”x13” pan that has been lined with parchment paper. (Ensure that the parchment goes up the sides too).
- Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes. The base will be set, but not fully cooked. It will bake again once the topping is added so don’t worry.
- Leave the oven on.
To make the topping & complete the bars:
- Combine butter, brown sugar and molasses in a medium sauce pan over low heat. Stir to combine as the butter melts. Raise the temperature to medium and bring to a boil. Boil for three minutes then remove from heat, stir in the heavy cream and pecans.
- Combine well with a rubber spatula then carefully pour, scrape and spread over the baked crust.
- Return to the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool before cutting.
Are you a fan of pecans? Try our Pecan Pie Bars. They’re crazy delicious.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe