Servings: 10 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 3 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Bring on summer!
A classic biscuit-style strawberry shortcake is one of my favourite desserts. It’s a down-to-earth treat that always feels special, particularly when in-season strawberries are in the markets.
This is the dessert my daughter always requests for her birthday, although her birthday is in late January. I understand where she’s coming from though: strawberry shortcake represents the sun-baked promise of summer after a long cold winter.
Ginger molasses biscuits are a delicious addition to your strawberry shortcake. The flavours of molasses and ginger pair beautifully with strawberries and whipped cream and the biscuits are just sweet enough to work in a dessert.
Healthy tip: For a lighter take on your strawberry shortcake, mix your whipped cream with Greek yogurt (half and half).
Ginger Molasses Biscuits for Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Makes about 10 3” biscuits
- 3 cups flour
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ¾ cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. cold milk
- 2 tsp. cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ginger.
- In another bowl combine the milk and vinegar and let sit for five minutes.
- Cut butter into the dry ingredients, until butter is pea-sized.
- Stir molasses into milk mixture and pour over flour-butter mixture.
- Stir gently until barely combined.
- Scrape dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until dough comes together and is mostly smooth (about 10 times).
- Gently pat or roll out dough to ¾” thickness. Cut into rounds with a 3” biscuit cutter.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in the fridge for an hour (if you have time).
When ready to bake:
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Place biscuits in oven and immediately turn the temperature down to 400 F.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until done.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.