Servings: 2 loaves serving(s)
Prep time: 3 hours 15 minutes
Total time: 3 hours 50 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Cornmeal sandwich bread is a satisfying yeast bread made with white flour and cornmeal. Molasses adds great flavour.
Recipe method calls for a stand mixer with a dough hook. No worries if you don’t have this equipment — steps 2-4 can be done by hand. (That’s how I do it.)
Cornmeal Sandwich Bread
- 1½ cups cold water
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 cup cornmeal (coarse grind)
- 1 cup cold whole milk
- ¼ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 Tbsp instant dry yeast (or two packages)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- butter, for greasing pans
- olive oil, for brushing dough
- Bring cold water and salt to boil in small pan on medium-high heat. Whisk in cornmeal a bit at a time. Reduce heat to low and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, until consistency of thick mush.
- Stir when cooled to room temperature. Put cornmeal mixture, milk and molasses in bowl of stand mixer equipped with dough hook. Sprinkle in yeast.
- On medium speed, blend in flour 1 cup at a time. You may need to add more flour or less depending on the humidity.
- Mix until dough is smooth and supple. The dough should come away from the sides of the bowl but stick to the bottom.
- Turn onto floured work surface and knead three or four times.
- Place in large, greased bowl and cover with kitchen towel. Leave in warm place till doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
- Butter 2 loaf pans (9″ x 5″). Divide dough in half and pat into 2 loaves. Place in pans and cover with kitchen towel. Let sit 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Brush tops lightly with oil. Bake in preheated 425°F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake 20 to 25 minutes more, or until lightly browned. The internal temperature should be 185°F.
- Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes, then turn out of pans. Cool to room temperature before slicing.
Subscribe to our recipe updates…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.