Servings: 18 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 75 minutes
Last minute holiday treats:
Earlier this month when I was in Halifax for work I had an overnight visit with my dear friend Lisa. She loves to bake and over the years she has shared some delicious recipes (like this Cracked Wheat Brown Bread). Well this visit she sent me home with another handful of wonderful recipes, including this recipe for Chocolate Biscuit Cake, a chocolate & cookie concoction that takes all of five minutes to put together.
The original recipe use McVitie’s tea biscuits but I have since discovered that it’s great with digestive biscuits and arrowroot cookies too.
The biscuits give the bars a wonderful crispy texture and the chocolate-molasses mixture is wonderfully smooth. The raisins (or dried cranberries) add a bit of chew and brighten the flavours.
This is the perfect last-minute holiday treat. Like homemade chocolates, only easier and very pretty. Better yet, it makes a 9″x13″ pan so you’ll have lots.
Lisa’s No-bake Chocolate Biscuit Cake Recipe
- 10 oz McVitie’s tea biscuits, digestive biscuits or arrowroot cookies
- 1 ¾ cups chocolate chips
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- ½ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- ¼ cup Lyle’s Golden Syrup or honey
- ½ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- Break biscuits into pieces the size of a quarter and combine with raisins in a large bowl.
- Line a 9”x13” pan with parchment paper and grease the parchment.
- In a medium pot gently melt the chocolate with the butter. Stir until smooth, remove from heat and add the molasses and syrup.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the biscuits and stir to combine.
- Spread in prepared pan, pressing lightly. Refrigerate until set and cut into squares.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email.