Servings: 12 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Sharp cheese and molasses is an old-time combination that works beautifully on flaky biscuits. Make it even better with whipped molasses butter.
Cheese and molasses just works.
Warm biscuits fresh from the oven are so good with butter and a drizzle of molasses. In this recipe you can take that flavour combination in another direction by slathering warm biscuits with creamy whipped molasses butter. And these aren’t just any biscuits – they’re biscuits made with extra old cheddar.
Why cheddar and molasses go together so beautifully I have no idea. But the combination works.
These biscuits are deliciously flaky
You’ll notice in the instructions that I fold and roll the dough a couple of times. This creates layers that help make the biscuits extra flaky. As well, I cut the biscuits freehand instead of using a cookie cutter because I don’t want to overwork any leftover dough.
Molasses butter is versatile
I love whipped molasses butter on biscuits but it’s also delicious on cooked vegetables, especially sweet potatoes, cauliflower, corn and onions.
For the molasses butter I just use my hand held mixer to whip the butter and incorporate the molasses. If I was making a double batch I’d use my food processor instead.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup cold butter
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar
- 1 egg beaten (for egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a small bowl combine milk and vinegar.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flours, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter until it is pea-sized.
- Stir in cheddar then pour over milk mixture.
- Stir until almost combined then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly until flour is incorporated.
- Pat into a rectangle that‘s about 5” x 10”.
- Lengthwise, fold it in on itself like a business letter.
- Then, using a rolling pin, lightly roll it into a rectangle again and repeat folding process.
- Lightly roll into a rectangle again that’s about ½” thick.
- Cut into squares and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, about half an inch apart.
- Brush with egg wash and bake 12-15 minutes until golden.
- Serve warm with molasses butter.
Whipped Molasses Butter
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2-3 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
Beat the butter until light then beat in the molasses.
Get more wholesome recipes…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive our recipe emails. We’ll send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes giveaways, menu ideas, featured recipes and more.Sign up for our Newsletter