Servings: 12 serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Brown sugar banana muffins are deliciously cakey, not sticky like many banana muffins. Molasses and coffee give them a great flavour boost.
I bake all summer long, no matter the weather. Not complicated recipes, just old fashioned basics that suit slow mornings or weekend afternoons on the beach.
My favourite summer baking is rainy Sunday morning baking, especially up at our cottage. Shrouded by hemlock trees our cottage has a dim, cozy feel on misty mornings and the sound of rain on the roof can almost lull me back to sleep.
This simple brown sugar banana muffin recipe was given to me by an old friend and it was a staple in her house when her kids were growing up. The recipe is perfect for summer mornings because it is so quick and easy to mix up.
The texture of brown sugar banana muffins is a little on the cake-y side, in a good way. They aren’t as sticky as some banana muffins and the flavor is fairly mild. The coffee flavor is very subtle.
The recipe could easily handle add-ins – ½ cup walnut pieces or chocolate chips.
If you love to bake with bananas we have a whole page of banana recipes.
Brown Sugar Banana Muffins Recipe
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 cups flour, spooned in
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. finely ground coffee
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 ripe bananas
- ¾ cup brown sugar (can reduce to 1/2 cup)
- ½ cup oil (canola, grape seed or olive)
- 2 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line muffin tin with paper liners or grease them well.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and coffee.
- In another bowl mash the bananas then whisk in sugar, oil, molasses, eggs and vanilla.
- Add wet to dry and stir gently until just a few streaks of flour remain. (Don’t overmix.)
- Spoon into prepared pan and bake for 18-20 minutes.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.