Servings: 2 cups serving(s)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
A gorgeous barbecue sauce with a little kick.
In July we ran a recipe contest with Food Bloggers of Canada members. The challenge was to create recipes that suited summer using molasses. There were three categories: Salad & Side, Barbecue Main Dish, and Something Sweet. This Blueberry Bourbon Barbecue Sauce was the winner in the Barbecue Main Dish category.
You might mistake this barbecue sauce for some sort of an ice cream topping because it has such a gorgeous colour. While it is lick-your-fingers delicious, the flavour is undeniably barbecue with tang from the blueberries, a little heat from the chipotle, lots of body from the bourbon and savoury sweetness from the molasses.
I have yet to try the sauce on beef but it is delicious on chicken (pictured here) and pork.
The recipe was created by Wanda Baker of BakersBeans blog She also created a turkey burger recipe using this sauce. She has all kinds of great recipes on her blog so be sure to pay her a visit.
Blueberry Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- ⅓ cup red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup Crosby’s Molasses
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar + 1 tsp
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
- 1 tsp. chipotles in adobo (or to taste if you like more heat)
- 1 cup blueberries
- ¼ cup water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic cooking for an additional minute. Pour in bourbon and cook off for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, chipotle, blueberries, water and a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Simmer 30 minutes.
- Taste after simmering and adjust salt & pepper as needed. Puree if you prefer a smooth texture.
Meet the other winners:
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email..