Servings: 12 serving(s)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
If you’re aiming for healthier muffins — lower in fat and less sweet – this is a recipe you’ll enjoy.
I still have one foot firmly planted in summer but I have to admit that the other foot is dragging itself towards the first week of September and the back-to-school rush. Early mornings, lunch packing and homework. Whether you have kids in school or not, September brings us all back to some sort of routine.
Apple Chai Muffins make a great lunchbox treat.
September for me means muffins cooling on the counter, stockpiled for school lunches and after school snacks.
If you’re aiming for healthier muffins — lower in fat and less sweet – this is a recipe you’ll enjoy. Rolled oats give them lots of texture and apple keeps them moist.
Feel free to add a few chocolate chips (about 3/4 cup) if you’d like to turn them into more of a chocolate chai muffin.
Apple Chai Muffin Recipe
Makes 12 muffins
Adapted from Simple Balance
- 1 ½ cups spelt or whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp. cardamom
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 ½ tsp. cider vinegar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 apple, grated with peel on
- 1/3 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 F and prepare 12 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk and cider vinegar and let sit for a few minutes. Stir in applesauce, grated apple, molasses, egg and vanilla.
- Add wet to dry and mix very gently.
- Divide mixture among 12 prepared muffin cups and bake for about 20 minutes.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email.
We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. Our Making Life Delicious newsletter includes cooking tips, menu ideas and featured recipes. Here’s the link to our monthly email sign-up form.