Servings: 6 serving(s)
Prep time: 35 minutes
Total time: 1 hours 35 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
This easy spiced apple barbecue sauce recipe is perfect for fall. Use it on your favourite grilled items or as an all-purpose condiment.
Who says October is the end of barbecue season?
We hardly ever haul out the barbecue but I always have barbecue sauce on hand. It’s a terrific condiment for all sorts of cooking. We use it as a sauce to keep oven-cooked meats moist and flavourful and, as I have discovered, it is the perfect addition to turkey meatloaf. Slathered on top before cooking it helps to lock in moisture and the flavour combo — turkey and apple — couldn’t be better. Especially come October.
This is one of those summer-meets-fall meals, the easy kind that goes with anything. Leftover meatloaf can be used for sandwiches.
Try the apple barbecue sauce on all your favourite grillables. It’s beautifully spiced and has a nice little bite of heat.
This easy spiced apple barbecue sauce recipe is perfect for fall. Use it on your favourite grilled foods or as an all-purpose condiment.
Spiced Apple Barbecue Sauce Recipe
Adapted from Food & Drink
- 1 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- Pinch of cloves
- 3 apples, peeled and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- ¼ cup, packed, brown sugar
- 1 small can tomato paste (156 ml)
- 1 cup water or beer
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- In a deep pot melt butter over medium heat. Saute onion, salt and spices until onion is softened.
- Stir in apples, molasses, sugar, tomato paste, water and vinegar.
- Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until apples are soft.
- Mash or puree. Simmer 15 minutes longer for a thicker sauce.
Audrey’s Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 ribs of celery, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 2 slices of bread, crumbled
- 1 cup feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped oregano or sage (fresh) or a combination of the two
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup apple barbecue sauce
- Sauté garlic, onion and celery until soft.
- Scrap into a large bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix gently just until combined (take care not to over mix)
- Shape into a loaf on a parchment or foil-lined baking sheet.
- Brush with barbecue sauce.
- Bake at 350 F for 45 to 55 minutes.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.