Prep time: 3 hours
Total time: 4 hours
Cooking time: 40 minutes
“Bridget: The best bread I have ever tasted AND made myself is Crosby’s formula for Anadama Bread. I’ve been making it for 8 plus years ever since I received my first recipe book in the mail. Thank you for including this in your library of good things. Terri S. ”
Anadama Bread Recipe
- 4¾ – 5¼ cups of flour
- 2 pks. dry yeast
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1/3 cup lard or shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp melted butter or margarine
- In large bowl combine 1 cup of flour and yeast.
- In a medium saucepan combine cornmeal and water, cook, stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat, stir in molasses, butter and salt.
- Cool to lukewarm and add flour mixture, then add eggs. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can with a spoon.
- Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make smooth and elastic dough. Place in greased bowl, cover and let rise until double in bulk.
- Punch down, divide dough in half and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Shape into 2 loaves and place in 2 greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise until double in bulk. Brush with melted butter or margarine.
- Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes then cover with foil and bake 20 minutes more
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. It includes cooking tips, menu ideas, featured recipes and more. Here’s the link to subscribe.