Servings: 4 serving(s)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Is there anything more lovely than grilled summer fruit on a salad?
In July we ran a recipe contest with Food Bloggers of Canada members. The challenge was to create recipes that suited summer, using molasses. There were three categories: Salad & Side, Barbecue Main Dish, and Something Sweet. This grilled nectarine salad was the winner in the Salad & Side category.
This grilled nectarine salad is the best thing I have eaten all summer — and I eat a lot of very good food. It’s gorgeous, with a chipotle molasses dressing that has a great sweet-with-heat balance. The nectarines soften when they’re grilled and the sugars caramelize a bit, which makes them irresistible. Both the dressing and the nectarine flavours go beautifully with the fresh, creamy goat cheese that you nestle in beside the fruit.
The recipe was created by Leigh-Ann Kearley of Sugar N’ Stuff Blog. (Leigh-Ann was also a finalist in our cookie contest last year with her Rum Runner Molasses Cookies). Check out her site…She has loads of great molasses recipes.
Grilled Nectarine Salad with Chipotle Molasses Dressing Recipe
For the dressing:
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (amount depends on how much heat you like.)*
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
For the salad:
- 2 nectarines, scrubbed, pitted and sectioned
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Mixed salad greens (enough for 4)
- About 3 oz. soft goat cheese, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
To make the dressing:
- Combine dressing ingredients in a blender and let it run until everything is pureed
To grill the nectarines:
- Toss the nectarine slices in olive oil and ensure cut sides are well coated. Place cut side down in a grill pan and cook until grill lines form (1-2 minutes per side). Flip and repeat. Remove from grill.
- Toss salad greens with chipotle dressing to coat.
- Transfer to a platter and top with grilled nectarines and goat cheese rounds.
- Sprinkle with onions and drizzle with a bit more chipotle dressing
*I use 1-2 tsp. worth of puree from the can of chipotle peppers
Meet the other contest winners:
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email..