Servings: 20 bars serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Peanut Butter Energy Bars – a wholesome snack that hits the spot when you need a boost on an active day. Filled with oats and sunflower, flax & sesame seeds
These are like old fashioned granola bars. They’re sweet like cookies and loaded with healthy ingredients. They’re the kind of energy bars that you want to pack for a day on the ski hill, which is where we enjoyed them.
I made the energy bars for our March Break trip to Quebec City, which included a day of downhill skiing. When we came in off the hill at lunchtime and the end of the day these energy bars were the first thing my son and I went for. Filling and satisfying, they hit the spot.
If you like to spend active days in the outdoors energy-filled snacks help keep you going.
They also make a great after school snack and can be made with sunflower seed butter if you want to make them school-friendly.
These are very filling — one is enough!
This recipe for Multi Seed Energy Bars is a slight adaptation of a recipe from the wonderful cookbook, Whitewater Cooks, Pure, Simple & Real
Multi Seed Peanut Butter Energy Bars Recipe
Makes at least 20 bars
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ½ Tbsp. vanilla
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup ground flax
- ½ cup coconut, toasted
- ½ cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- ½ cup sesame seeds, toasted
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a 9”x 9” metal pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl cream butter, peanut butter, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat in molasses and honey.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix in remaining ingredients.
- Press into prepared pan, pressing down firmly.
- Bake at 350 F for 35-40 minutes, until golden.
- Cool in pan and cut when still slightly warm.
Tip: To speed up the toasting process, sprinkle the sunflower and sesame seeds on a cookie sheet and place in the oven while it preheats. Toast for about five minutes then add the coconut. Toast for another 4-5 minutes.