Mexican Molasses Lime Grilled Chicken recipe is an easy chicken dish with pizazz.
It’s still summer and I’m on vacation but school supplies lists keep appearing on the table in front of me. According to the list, my daughter needs 50 pencils and 800 sheets of loose leaf (among other things). Next week she’ll march off to school looking like she’s headed on a week-long back country hike, her knapsack bulging with all those school supplies and boxes of Kleenex and indoor sneakers. My son will leave for school with a pen, a wad of paper and hopefully his lunch.
As much as I hate to see summer vacation coming to an end I do love the first day of school, watching my kids head out the door. It’s as though, right before my eyes they grow from first graders to the middle school and high school students they are today, the reverse of Tom Hanks becoming a boy again at the end of the movie “Big”.
But school hasn’t started yet and the holiday weekend awaits so I’m sharing a recipe that you can enjoy at your Labour Day barbecue.
Mexican Molasses Lime Grilled Chicken recipe is an easy chicken dish with pizazz. It’s perfect for your weekend barbecue but is quick enough for a weeknight. The recipe uses boneless, skinless chicken thighs, which I find are more moist and flavourful than chicken breasts, and cheaper too.
I serve it with roasted corn and summer squash (zucchini). Just toss 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn with two chopped summer squash, one sliced red onion, a clove of garlic, minced, 1 Tbsp. of olive oil, salt & pepper and whatever herbs you have on hand. Roast at 375 F until the zucchini is tender. Stir from time to time so it cooks evenly. Marinated Tomato Salad with Garlicky Paprika Vinaigrette would be another great addition to the meal. Serve Molasses Crinkle Cookie S’Mores for dessert.
Mexican Molasses Lime Grilled Chicken Recipe
Slightly adapted from the blog Le Cafe Sucre Farine
- 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
For the marinade:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. dry oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a sauce pan and stir well. Pour 3 Tbsp. into a zip-lock bag or baking dish and add chicken. Toss the chicken until it’s well coated. Marinate for 30 minutes and up to 12 hours.
- Bring remaining marinade to a simmer over medium heat and cook until reduced by half.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Grill over medium heat (either stovetop or barbecue) until cooked through, basting often with the remaining marinade.
- Tent chicken with foil and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email.