Maple Molasses Candied Pecans are the perfect hostess gift or an easy snack for guests.
When you want a good nibble in a hurry, candied nuts are always a great option. They’re quick to mix up, don’t take long to bake and are so yummy.
When I was growing up we’d have a big bowl of whole nuts in the living room. It was an old fashioned sort of holiday treat that you could leave out all through December. As kids we preferred bowls of ribbon candy or barley toys but once in a while we’d sit down beside the bowl and start the slow process of snacking.
You have likely noticed that the tradition continues and you can still find mesh bags of mixed nuts in the produce section of the grocery store. In this world where so much is processed and prepackaged it’s comforting to see something as simple as whole nuts are still available.
We have other recipes for candied nuts on this website but I have to say Maple Molasses Candied Pecans are the easiest. Pecans toast up quickly and evenly, and the whole batch is ready in under 30 minutes. Feel free to change up the spices. The recipe is adapted ever so slightly from the lovely blog The Cafe Sucre Farine.
Maple Molasses Candied Pecans
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups pecans (raw)
- Preheat oven to 325˚F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Have a second sheet of parchment nearby.
- Combine all ingredients except pecans in a medium pot. Stir to combine then stir in pecans.
- Warm over medium heat until mixture is very runny (don’t boil) for about two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture onto prepared pan and spread into a single layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and stir well then spread out again to a single layer. Bake until deep golden brown, about 8-12 minutes more. Watch carefully so they don’t overcook.
- Remove from oven, stir again and then spread on the reserved sheet of parchment to cool. (Moving the pecans to a clean sheet of parchment will keep them looking tidy.)