After enduring the second blizzard in four days our living room resembles the laundry room with a family’s worth of snow suits, hats, mitts and boots drying by the fire.
There is a snow bank half way up the kitchen windows and a three-foot drift against the back door.
The kids are off school so we’re all tucked inside enjoying a leisurely breakfast before it’s time to get suited up and shovel out.
This is a baking morning.
As we hunker down in our cozy house nothing smells as good as fresh bread and muffins on a snow day, especially lemony poppy seed muffins.
With the bright flavours of lemon zest and lemon juice, and the tart-sweet glaze, these wholesome lemon poppy seed muffins are reminiscent of summer in the thick of a snowy winter.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Makes 14 muffins
- 3 cups flour, spooned in (can use 1 cup whole wheat or spelt)
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- Zest of one lemon
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Juice of one lemon (3 Tbsp.)
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line muffin tins with papers.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, poppy seeds, lemon zest & salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk the eggs, then whisk in the milk, molasses, vanilla, lemon juice and melted butter.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour over the liquid mixture. Stir gently just until the flour is moistened. (Mixing should be held to a minimum – a light stirring for 10 to 20 seconds. Batter will be lumpy and will break into coarse globs.
- Spoon into muffin cups and fill to the top.
- Bake at once until golden brown, 13-15 minutes.
- Juice of half a lemon (1 1/2 Tbsp.)
- About 3/4 cup icing sugar
Whisk together and spoon over cooled muffins. Add more icing sugar if it’s too runny.
Nutritional info: Per muffin. Calories: 228, Fat: 9.9 g, Saturated Fat: 5 g, Cholesterol: 60 mg, Sodium: 73.5 mg, Carbs: 29 g, Sugar: 8.9 g, Fibre: 1.7 g
Watch the video:
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email.