Servings: 12 serving(s)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
No matter the weather, you can bring spring to your kitchen with the foods that you bake.
We awoke to snow this morning. It won’t last but that doesn’t change the wintery feeling it gives you, especially now that the crocus are up.
But spring can be a state of mind and brightly flavoured lemon ginger scones make me think of spring. They FEEL like spring. Flavoured with both powdered and candied ginger, and the zest of a lemon, they’re like a mouthful of sunshine on a weekend morning.
Lemon ginger scones are best enjoyed right out of the oven with a little butter and jam. Any leftovers can be toasted the next day.
This is a sweet scone, lovely on its own with a cup of tea. Feel free to increase the amount of candied ginger to ¾ of a cup. The sugar can be reduced to 2 Tbsp.
Lemon Ginger Scone Recipe
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. ginger
- ½ cup cold butter
- ½ cup chopped candied ginger
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 cup milk soured with 1 tsp. of lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- In a large bowl whisk the flours, salt, baking soda, sugar, cream of tartar and ginger. Cut in the butter until it’s pea-sized. Stir in the candied ginger.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg with the molasses and milk.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid mixture. Stir with a fork until almost combined.
- Scrape onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead a few times until the dough comes together.
- Gently roll ½ “ thick and cut into rounds or pat into a circle and cut into wedges.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.