Servings: 18 muffins serving(s)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Chia Bran Muffins are a light-textured classic made better (in a healthy sort of way) with the addition of chia.
I’m very good at buying super healthy foods. But then they often sit in my cupboard, or at the back of the fridge, out of sight and out of mind.
I have a package of chia that has been in my cupboard for ages. I stir a spoonful into my porridge from time to time but that’s about it. I never did get into chia pudding (I’m not wild about the texture) so my progress through the package has been slow.
That’s why this recipe for chia bran muffins caught my eye.
It’s a classic bran muffin recipe. Made with natural bran and buttermilk so the muffins have a lovely light texture. The recipe gets extra nutrition from a few tablespoons of chia seeds. These muffins are low in fat and have no refined sugar.
It goes to show that making our favourite foods a little more healthy is easier than you think.
The recipe is slightly adapted from New York Times Food.
Chia Bran Muffin Recipe
Makes 18 muffins
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 ¾ cups boiling water
- 1 ½ cups natural bran (also called baker’s bran)
- 3 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup canola or grape seed oil
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the raisins in a medium bowl and pour over the boiling water. Let sit 5 minutes, then stir in the bran and the chia. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, oil and molasses. Whisk in the buttermilk and vanilla. Stir in the raisin and bran mixture and combine well.
- Fold in the flour mixture and combine well. (Batter can be refrigerated overnight).
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Prepare muffin pans.
- Fill muffin cups and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the muffin tops feel firm to the touch and are puffed and browned.
- Let cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.
Nutritional info: Per muffin.
- Calories: 165.6
- Fat: 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat: .7g
- Cholesterol: 22.2 mg
- Carbs: 25.3 g
- Sugar: 7.5 g
- Sodium: 202.7 mg
- Fibre: 4 g
- Protein: 4.8 g
- Potassium: 308.2 mg
- Calcium: 83.5 g