Servings: 1 loaf serving(s)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
What’s not to love about soda bread? Rustic, hearty and nourishing, soda bread suits the tail end of winter with its slushy days and damp chill.
Served alongside Irish Stew or generously slathered with butter and jam this simple loaf will stick with you, especially when made with wholesome flour.
This version from the blog Honest Cooking is made with stout beer for extra substance and flavour. It also calls for spelt flour although whole wheat flour would work too, or all-purpose flour.
St. Patrick’s Day in my neck of the woods is destined to be very white this year, which is all the more reason to plan a warming meal for my family’s celebration and this Guinness soda bread will be at the centre of the table. We’ll top the meal off with Guinness Gingerbread Cake, which is a great way to use up the rest of that can of Guinness you opened for the bread.
Hearty Guinness Soda Bread with molasses Recipe
- 4 cups + 3 Tbsp. spelt flour (or whole wheat or all-purpose)
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- ¾ cup + 1 Tbsp. stout beer
- ¾ cup + 1 Tbsp. plain yogurt or buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl combine the flour, oats, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in yogurt (or buttermilk), molasses and stout, mixing until just combined.
- Working quickly, scrape dough onto a lightly floured surface and form into a ball, dusting with flour if dough is too sticky.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet, dust it with flour or rolled oats and cut a cross in the top of the dough.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Cool on a wire rack (but eat while still warm)
Tip: For a tender crumb place a small pan of water in the oven along with the bread.
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. The sign-up form is on the top right hand side of this page. We’d love to send you our monthly email too. Our Making Life Delicious newsletter includes cooking tips, menu ideas and featured recipes. Here’s the link to our monthly email sign-up form.
Here’s to eating well, everyday,