Servings: 10 serving(s)
Prep time: 75 minutes
Total time: 93 minutes
Cooking time: 18 minutes
Bring on summer!
A classic biscuit-style strawberry shortcake is one of my favourite desserts. It’s a down-to-earth treat that always feels special, particularly when in-season strawberries are in the markets.
This is the dessert my daughter always requests for her birthday, although her birthday is in late January. I understand where she’s coming from though: strawberry shortcake represents the sun-baked promise of summer after a long cold winter.
Ginger molasses biscuits are a delicious addition to your strawberry shortcake. The flavours of molasses and ginger pair beautifully with strawberries and whipped cream and the biscuits are just sweet enough to work in a dessert.
Healthy tip: For a lighter take on your strawberry shortcake, mix your whipped cream with Greek yogurt (half and half).
Ginger Molasses Biscuits for Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Makes about 10 3” biscuits
- 3 cups flour
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ¾ cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. cold milk
- 2 tsp. cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ginger.
- In another bowl combine the milk and vinegar and let sit for five minutes.
- Cut butter into the dry ingredients, until butter is pea-sized.
- Stir molasses into milk mixture and pour over flour-butter mixture.
- Stir gently until barely combined.
- Scrape dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until dough comes together and is mostly smooth (about 10 times).
- Gently pat or roll out dough to ¾” thickness. Cut into rounds with a 3” biscuit cutter.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in the fridge for an hour (if you have time).
When ready to bake:
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Place biscuits in oven and immediately turn the temperature down to 400 F.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until done.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email..