Servings: 6 serving(s)
Prep time: 20 hours
Total time: 140 minutes
Cooking time: 120 minutes
This is a recipe from my childhood, one of those memorable meals that my mom would make from time to time.
It’s a good recipe for spring, on those days when you want that barbecue feeling without actually setting up the barbecue.
These oven baked spareribs are an effortless treat. They take all of five minutes to put together and then bake in the oven for about 2 hours. All you need to do is baste them a few times.
My kids devoured these in an instant. No wonder — they’re tender and the sauce is irresistible. My favourite part though is lemon. Sliced thinly and laid on top of the ribs before baking they caramelize so can be eaten. Please, eat the lemons!
The nutritional count assumes that your will lick up every drop of the sauce. As delicious as it may sound we find that there is always at least 1/2 a cup of sauce left in the pot.
You can finish these ribs on the barbecue. Lift them out of the pot after about 1 1/2 hours, shake off the sauce and grill over medium for 3-4 minutes per side, basting with remaining sauce.
Oven Baked Spareribs Recipe
- 3 lbs. ribs
- ½ tsp. salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced, seeds removed
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chili sauce (choose gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 Tbsp. dry mustard (powder)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Place ribs in a covered roasting pan or Dutch oven.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and dress with lemon slices and sprinkle over the onions.
- In a medium bowl whisk the chili sauce, mustard powder, brown sugar, molasses, orange juice and lemon juice.
- Pour half of the mixture over the ribs, cover and bake for one hour, basting once with another spoonful of the sauce.
- Remove lid and continue to bake for another 45-60 minutes, basting a few time with remaining sauce and pan sauces.
- Cut into individual ribs and serve.
Nutritional info: Per serving:
- Calories: 429
- Fat: 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.2 g
- Cholesterol: 73 mg
- Sodium: 489 mg
- Carbs: 47 g
- Sugar: 38 g
- Protein: 19.3 g
- Potassium 786 mg
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email.