A decadent and easy chocolate tart recipe that tastes delicious warm or at room temperature.
Chocolate and molasses is a magical combination. Just a bit of molasses can intensify that taste of good, dark chocolate but it gives chocolate a nice balance too, adding flavour notes of it’s own.
This is a lovely pastry recipe and fairly easy to make. I made mine with half whole wheat flour for more flavour and because I love to tuck wholemeal flour into my baking.
This recipe is slightly adapted from Ricardo Cuisine. (I changed up the flour in the crust, added a bit of molasses and reduced the sugar in the filling.)
Easy Chocolate Tart Recipe
- 1 cup flour (can use half whole wheat)
- 2 Tbsp. icing sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 6 Tbsp. cold butter, diced
- 3 Tbsp. plain yogurt
- 5 ½ oz (150 g) 70% dark chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- In a food processor pulse the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the butter and pulse until it’s pea-sized. Add yogurt and pulse until the dough starts to come together. Scrape onto a lightly floured surface and gather into a ball, kneading a few times if there is still flour to incorporate.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out dough and fit into a rectangular tart pan or an 8” or 9” spring form pan. (If using a spring-form pan ensure the dough comes up the side 1 ½”.) Prick the dough with a fork and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Bake tart shell for about 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let cool slightly.
- While the tart shell is baking, melt the chocolate with the cream in a double boiler or in a heat proof bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the brown sugar, molasses and eggs. Stir in the flour and whisk just until incorporated.
- Pour into the crust and bake about 12 minutes (until the filling is set at the edges but still soft in the centre). Don’t overbake.
- Serve the tart hot or warm.