Servings: 12-14 slices serving(s)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 65 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Solve your back to school lunch box challenges with double chocolate whole wheat zucchini bread.
It’s not yet mid-September and already we’re having a hard time ensuring our kids pack reasonably healthy lunches. Fruit and protein aside, I like to have little treats on hand for snack time but my kids are tired of homemade cookies. And they’re at the stage where homemade granola bars aren’t nearly as appealing as store bought.
I remember being the same, growing up in a house where homemade baked goods were on the counter almost every day. (Through junior high and high school I was obsessed with Dare maple leaf cookies and those little Vachon chocolate-coated cakes with the dollop of caramel in the middle.)
I’m pretty sure my kids’ palates will lead them back to homemade cookies but in the meantime, I left double chocolate whole wheat zucchini bread on the counter for them this morning.
This is an extra moist, intensely chocolate zucchini bread that’s refined sugar-free. (Chocolate chips are optional.) It makes good use of the local zucchini that is so abundant in the markets right now. Use green or yellow zucchini or summer squash for this recipe.
If you use whole wheat pastry flour the texture will be a bit more crumbly than when made with regular whole wheat flour. The texture is always lovely whatever flour you use.
*Update* This recipe is so adaptable. I have made it using 2 cups of grated zucchini, I have omitted the honey and simply added an extra tablespoon of molasses instead, and I have reduced the chocolate chips to 1/3 cup. Every time it’s delicious.
Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread Recipe
Makes 12-14 slices
- 1/3 cup oil (olive or canola)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp. whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 6 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips, divided (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a 9”x 5” loaf pan with parchment paper or grease and flour it well.
- After you grate the zucchini (on the coarse side of a box grater), grab a handful at a time and squeeze it over the sink to remove a bit of the moisture.
- In a large bowl whisk oil with the eggs (adding one egg at a time). Whisk in molasses, honey and vanilla. Stir in zucchini.
- In another bowl whisk the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the molasses mixture to the flour mixture and stir until almost combined. Stir in all but 2 Tbsp. of the chocolate chips.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 Tbsp. of chocolate chips.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until the bread feels set when tapped on the top.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before removing from pan.
Nutritional info: Per Slice
- Calories: 151,
- Fat: 7.8 g,
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g,
- Cholesterol: 27.5 mg,
- Carbs: 19.3 g,
- Sugar: 9.5 g,
- Fibre: 2 g,
- Protein: 3.1 g,
- Potassium 238 mg
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email..